Thursday 15 May 2014

The Beginning of an Obsession

I blame Draculaura for my obsession, but we'll get to that in a minute.

I have always been drawn to Monster High. I remember when I used to work at the checkout at Target, the very first Monster High doll to pass through my line was Clawdeen's Little Dead Riding Wolf.  I instantly loved that doll. Red is my favorite color, and I've always loved Little Red Riding Hood. Also, wolves are my favorite animal and werewolves are awesome! I thought it was so clever and cute that they made Little Red Riding Hood into a wolf.


As much as I loved her, I thought "what the heck am I going to do with a doll?" So I continued to admire the Monster High dolls from afar, never really knowing anything about them, just admiring their design. I paused to look at them if one happened to come through my line at work, and every once in a while I did a quick pass through the Monster High isle at work, but that was about it.  I have always liked things that are "scary cute," like The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ruby Gloom, Skelanimals, and Hotel Transylvania, so it's no surprise that Monster High caught my eye, but I think I was too quick to dismiss them because I've never considered myself to be a "doll person."  

A couple of years later, after getting together with my boyfriend Sam, the Monster High interest reignited.  As we were browsing the movie section of our local Kmart, Sam held up a Monster High DVD to show me. We both mentioned how cute it looked, but didn't end up buying it.  We eventually realized that every time we went in to look at movies we migrated towards the Monster High DVDs and eventually ended up buying one. It was a double feature of Friday Night Frights and Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love. We thought it was really cute and eventually ended up buying the rest of the Monster High movies.  After watching the movies it became part of our weekly routine to browse for any cute Monster High stuff when we went out shopping.  We had fun looking at the dolls and talked about whether or not we should get one, but always decided against it. 

We were at Toys 'R Us one day and decided to each pick out a toy, like the fully grown children we are. I chose the Lego Friends Dolphin Cruiser and Sam chose....Draculaura.  I was excited that we were actually finally buying one, but still had no idea what we were going to do with her.  We did notice that the box said a stand was included, so that was a plus.

Anyway, once we got home I got to work on my Lego kit. I'm new to Lego as well, Sam had gotten me a few smaller kits to put together previously, but this was the biggest one I'd done before so I was very excited. It was super fun and turned out awesome! 



 Sam is great at putting things on display and did all the extra little touches. I absolutely love the way he made it look like the dolphins are jumping up out of the water.  While I was building my cruise ship, Sam was getting Draculaura out of her box and onto her stand. I was so absorbed by building that I wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing.  When he had her all set up he told me to come take a look at her. I was shocked! I had no idea how pose-able she would be and how awesome she would look on her stand. 


I absolutely loved the pose he put her in, I felt like it really brought her to life. I had always thought they would be like Barbie dolls...legs straight, both feet on the ground, arms at their sides...but I was pleasantly surprised at how pose-able she was. 

Once we got that first Draculaura out on her display, we were completely hooked on Monster High.  



 Reviews of  Dolls Pictured


 NamanthaSuxx is the best Monster High reviewer out there, be sure to check her out

No comments:

Post a Comment